3.16.2011

The Life Aquatic & PSyCHOdELiK diving

I have been looking for a wetsuit for a long time.

Well, either that or it is just ridiculously expensive and not feasible...
(not to mention I need to purchase both a 5 and 7mm and I can't get myself to pick one). 

Needless to say, The Life Aquatic (Director Wes Anderson) is one of my favorite movies of all time and they really know what they are doing when it comes to diving...& everything else for that matter. They have a jacuzzi on their boat, the Belafonte, and Steve Zissou (Bill Murray) knows how to live a little. Plus Anderson knows exactly what to do with colors and how to be funny without trying too hard. 

If you have not seen this film then DO IT--especially if you fancy Bill Murray, Portuguese David Bowie covers, Cousteau or the diversity of the wonderful cast: 



Watch Bill Murray talk about the father of marine biology & dance to the ocean clad in the sickest scuba gear you will ever see:



I idealize them! They wear the prototype of the wetsuit I would want and are also deserving of mad props for invention of that ingenous music making helmet! Is anyone else excited about this? I might pick purple just to be ridiculous. After seeing this movie I have always sought after similar wetsuits. 

So I began searching for the perfect wetsuit that would resemble and make me feel like a member of Team Zissou. I had interesting results.


I am definitely not a Trekky and yes, these really do/or did exist (for between 435-470 big ones): 


These were/are made by Roddenberry, but for some reason this appears to be the only place where you can find them anymore. Someones blog, go figure. I guess try ebay. 

For the adventurous risk-takers:


A shark bite wetsuit. I find this pretty hilarious. It would be even funnier if someone wearing this died battling a shark. That is how you have to go out if you wear something as ridiculous as that. THAT wetsuit or these:


So creative, but ridiculously extreme and I am sure expensive as well. They are designs ...by Diddo who has an interesting take on individuality in the marine environment. He has designed blinged out gas masks and Benedictine monk inspired champagne extinguishers. He is a member of "the invisible party" in Amsterdam (whatever that means). Long story short. I have no idea if you can actually buy these, unless I just have to send him a secret message and promise him lots of money.

If I were a guy I might actually consider this one, especially if a dirty martini with blue cheese stuffed olives was included: 

 
Apparently, Wetwear can design the tuxedo wetsuit...or anything in your wildest dreams. Seems doubtful. That site just looks shady...

If I were a douche/bro I might be able to rock one of these: 


I guess the fish one really is not that bad, but the other two guys I would never want to meet in the water or on land. An Italian company called Diansub makes these and their site is pretty legit! It is very customized. You fill out this TAYLOR MADE order form and I guess they send you a suggested price. This company is in Italy and custom made=no way can I afford this. 

Diddo and Diansub seem like really awesome European companies. Stand up USA! Those Europeans are always so artsy...


1 comment:

  1. Nice Blog Thanks for sharing with us. Get the best deals on Tuxedo Wetsuit with Buy4outdoors and explore a wide range of wetsuits.

    ReplyDelete